This could not be more tasty and more healthy we got it off our goof friends (Shay Mitchell & Michaela Blaney’s blog Amore & Vita) – clocking in at around 60 calories per cup, mashed celery root is the perfect substitute to mashed potatoes…and is “hungry male appetite” approved.
What You Will Need:
- Three large celery root bulbs
- 4 cups of water or broth
- 2 tbsp earth balance (or butter)
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond milk (or milk)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add water or broth and bring to a boil on high heat.
- While waiting for the liquid to boil, peel the celery root and cut into 1-inch cubes. Once the liquid is boiling add the celery root.
- This will take about 10-15 minutes to cook through. To check if it is done, pierce a cube with a fork. If it goes in easy it is ready to be mashed.
- Drain the liquid and add the cubes back to a pot. Add the earth balance, almond milk (starting with 1/4 cup) and salt and pepper. Using a handheld immersion blender start combining the ingredients making it smooth.
- I prefer my mash to be on the thicker side but if you like it creamy add more almond milk. THAT’S IT!